In this article: We'll review 9 of our best pick 6×8 inch speakers for your car, truck or vehicle with product quick reviews, photos and price comparisons to help you save money on your favorite speaker.
- Best 6×8 Inch Car Speakers List
- 1. Best Overall 6×8 Pick: Rockford Fosgate Power T1682
- 2. Best Volume: Alpine R-S68
- 3. Best Looks: Infinity KAPPA 86CFX
- 4. High Definition Sound: Sony XS-680ES
- 5. Best Value: JBL Club 8622F
- 6. Pioneer TS-D68F
- 7. Best Component: Kicker 47KSS6804
- 8. Best Budget Pick: Kenwood KFC-C6866S
- 9. Ultra Budget Pick: Blaupunkt GTX680
- What to Look for When Buying 6×8” Speakers
Lots of vehicle manufacturers use 6×8” speakers in cars because they are easier to fit in small spaces than 6×9” speakers while providing comparable performance. Ford in particular (and its subsidiaries) used 6×8″ in a ton of their vehicles. But some of the factory speakers you’ll find in your vehicle are not high quality and don’t perform as well as you might hope. Or, they might be old, cracked and sound like a blown speaker. This is particularly relevant when you upgrade your head unit or add a high quality subwoofer or other speakers. Factory speakers can often sound weak or tinny too, and don’t have the range of frequencies to make your system upgrade sound clean and punchy like you want.
There are a bunch of decent 6×8” speakers on the market you can buy to upgrade your system. But if you really want to upgrade the performance of your car audio system, you want to find the best speakers not just the cheapest. We took the time to sort through the broad range of products to bring you this list of the 6×8” speakers we think will give you excellent sound quality from your factory or aftermarket head unit.
Looking for a different type of speaker? Check out these lists!
Best 6×8 Inch Car Speakers List
1. Best Overall 6×8 Pick: Rockford Fosgate Power T1682
- 6×8” 2-way coaxial speakers
- Built-in crossovers
- One-inch aluminum tweeter
- 80W RMS per speaker, 160W peak
- Frequency range: 55Hz-22KHz
- 88dB sensitivity
Rockford Fosgate Power T1682 Quick Review
When it comes to finding a great speaker to replace blown or low quality factory units, Rockford Fosgate might be the perfect choice for you. These speakers feature carbon fiber and polypropylene injected cones that are both rigid and lightweight but also durable and reliable. This design enhances midrange frequencies and prevents off-sounds many oval speakers tend to create. An aluminum one-inch tweeter gives you dynamic high range frequencies.
One feature that we particularly like is the built-in crossover. The crossover is tucked away in the basket which keeps installation clean and simple. RF applies its VAST technology to these speakers which results in an effective cone area that is up to 25 percent larger than previous designs.
- Excellent sounding speaker with a robust midrange and clear highs
- Fits numerous factory speaker locations without modification
- On-board crossover simplifies install and results in better sounding speakers
- Somewhat deep and may cause interference issues when replacing factory 5×7” speakers
- Not as much bass as might be expected from a speaker this size
2. Best Volume: Alpine R-S68
- 6×8” 2-way coaxial speakers
- Built-in one inch silk-dome swivel tweeter
- 100W RMS per speaker/ 300W peak
- Frequency range: 63Hz-29K Hz
- 89dB sensitivity
Alpine R-S68 Quick Review
Alpine's Type-R series speakers have been among our lists of best speakers for years. They're just a great all around speaker. Alpine began these coaxial speakers by taking the best bits of the Type-R series and improving them in almost every way. The new R-Series speakers offer the same full sound and durability with advancements in sound quality. These are a great choice if your speakers have a modest amplifier.
The cone is a multi-layer fiber hybrid material that is extremely rigid and light to provide excellent response to low frequencies. A patent-pending H.A.M.R. surround allows better excursion of the cone to prevent harshness. The one-inch tweeter is silk-domed and square wire-wrapped for smooth highs. You can swivel the tweeter to position it in the ideal spot.
- Powerful speaker with excellent bass response
- Clean midrange frequencies
- Well-tuned tweeter design is loud and clear without harshness
- Needs a crossover for proper tuning
- Doesn’t perform well without an amplifier
3. Best Looks: Infinity KAPPA 86CFX
- 6×8″ 2-way coaxial speakers
- One inch textile dome edge-driven tweeter, adjustable
- Patented glass fiber cone
- Upgradable from two-way to three-way component
- 2.5-ohm impedance optimizes efficiency
- 40Hz-22K Hz
- 96dB sensitivity
Infinity KAPPA 86CFX Quick Review
Upgrading a factory system to a modern amplified system often means compromises. This speaker set anticipates the challenges of thin factory speaker wiring with a 2.5-ohm impedance. This design maximizes the efficiency of the speaker. Upgrade your wiring and factory amplifier to really take advantage of all these 6×8” speakers are capable of.
The patented Plus One™ woofer cone and deep excursion let this speaker hit some of the lowest frequencies on this list. Oversized, edge-driven textile dome tweeters provide warm highs. The tweeters can increase frequency up to three decibels for tuning. They also swivel 270-degrees to direct the high frequencies into the proper direction.
- Powerful full-range coaxial speakers
- High-end components and build quality
- Deep bass response even with factory head units and wiring
- Ideally would be amplified
- Some buyers experience quality control issues that are not easily resolved
4. High Definition Sound: Sony XS-680ES
Sony XS-680ES Quick Review
Sony's fresh lineup, the Mobile ES, is their latest high performance line of speakers. Released in June 2021, this set of 6×8” speakers from Sony are one of the best options for audiophile-level car audio. We did a first look review of the mobile es speakers and based on what we've seen so far, this is going to be a fantastic option when you want more than just a simple upgrade.
These speakers use one of the most advanced tech on the market. Made of mica-reinforced cellular aramid fiber, the cone is substantially more rigid and lighter than anything Sony has produced to date. The cone produces a clean, realistic quality that makes you feel like you are sitting in front of your favorite band.
- Excellent all-around sound quality
- Perfect option for an overhaul of a factory system
- Brand-new basket design reduces distortion and promises to provide long-term durability
- High end speakers come with a high-end price tag
5. Best Value: JBL Club 8622F
- 6×8” 2-way coaxial speakers
- Edge-driven silk dome tweeter
- Polypropylene Plus One™ cone
- 60W RMS per speaker, 180W peak
- Frequency response: 60Hz-20K Hz
- 93dB sensitivity
- 3-ohm impedance
JBL Club 8622F Quick Review
The Club-series from JBL is one of the more popular factory upgrades in a 6×8” speaker. This is an affordable option that provides excellent midrange and more bass response than you might think when looking at the specs. JBL designs this speaker to perform well on underpowered factory car stereos, but it will also benefit from moderate amplification should you decide to add an outboard amp later.
The key thing about the Club 6×8” speakers is the patented Plus One technology that provides deep excursion and a larger cone area. This tech enables a better low-end sound while maintaining excellent sound reproduction free of distortion. Edge-driven silk tweeters handle the upper frequencies with ease.
- Affordable upgrade from factory speakers
- Better-than-expected bass response
- Clean midrange sound
- A little bright for systems that don’t have a dedicated subwoofer
- 6×8” coaxial speakers
- One inch polyester tweeter
- Polypropylene and aramid fiber cone
- Frequency range: 34Hz-42K Hz
- 87dB sensitivity
- 4-ohm impedance
Pioneer TS-D68F Quick Review
Pioneer produces one of the best 6×8” speakers for adding deep bass to your system. This speaker works excellent in rear doors where adding a decent amount of bass can improve the overall sound of your favorite music. This set of speakers will take tons of power and keep on thumping.
Pioneer uses an advanced injection-molded cone that is interwoven with aramid fibers for additional strength and dampening ability. This helps to produce rolling, deep bass without distortion. An oversized polyester-dome tweeter provides these speakers with good high frequency sound.
- Impressive bass response from a 6×8” speaker
- Great sound particularly in trucks that need a little more punch to compensate for loud engines and tires
- Easy to install
- Benefits from an amplifier
7. Best Component: Kicker 47KSS6804
- 6×8” 2-way component speakers with removable phase cone
- Optional coaxial or component tweeter design
- Polypropylene cone with rubber surround
- One inch silk dome tweeter
- Includes two-way crossovers
- Frequency range: 35Hz-21K Hz
- 91dB sensitivity
Kicker 47KSS6804 Quick Review
Kicker wants you to feel your music in a way your factory system never will. This component system is unique and provides an affordable way to significantly improve your car or truck. The woofer features a removable bullet-type phase plug where the tweeter can mount. The one-inch silk dome tweeter can optionally be mounted as a component speaker to work in nearly any vehicle.
This package includes a crossover network that sends the proper signals to the proper speakers. The tweeter response is adjustable to compensate for various locations you can mount the speaker. The speakers have a slim design that makes for an ideal upgrade in limited spaces.
- Flexible mounting options provide versatility
- Excellent bass response
- Slim design makes it easier to install in front doors
- Run-of-the-mill cone and surround features
8. Best Budget Pick: Kenwood KFC-C6866S
- 6×8” 2-way coaxial speakers
- One inch PEI balanced dome tweeters
- Polypropylene cone with treated cloth surround
- 30W RMS per speaker/ 250W peak
- Frequency range: 40Hz-22K Hz
- 4-ohm impedance
Kenwood KFC-C6866S Quick Review
Sometimes you just need a cheap set of speakers. Maybe you are replacing blown speakers in your work truck or car, or maybe you're simply wanting a little upgrade over dull, old factory units. Here is a speaker that performs better than you would expect for the money you pay. This is simply a good sounding speaker that doesn’t cost a lot.
This speaker uses some mundane materials, like a polypropylene cone and a cloth surround, and won’t take a lot of power with its low RMS rating. The good news is that this speaker will make a noticeable improvement in your factory audio system that doesn’t provide much power. Kenwood didn’t give you anything fancy at this price point, but they did give you excellent reliability and sound quality.
- Affordable way to replace tired, worn-out, blown factory speakers
- Easy to install and fits in most factory locations without modification
- Can’t handle a lot of power
- Basic components result in a less lively sound environment
9. Ultra Budget Pick: Blaupunkt GTX680
- 6×8″ 4-way coaxial speakers
- Mylar dome tweeter and aluminum voice coil
- Polymer cone
- Ceramic magnet
- 120W RMS, 300W peak
- Frequency response: 50Hz-20K Hz
- 90dB sensitivity
- 4 ohm impedance
Blaupunkt GTX680 Quick Review
Maybe you are thinking that there is no way you can get a quality factory replacement speaker for less than $40. Well, take a look at this pair of speakers from Blaupunkt for your ultra-budget upgrade. Though these offer some basic components as you would expect at the price, they are also the only four-way speakers on this list.
You’ll find a polymer cone, mylar tweeter, and an aluminum voice coil in these speakers. While not space-age, this combination provides a good sounding speaker that is an improvement over most factory paper-cone units. For the price, you can easily outfit your multi-speaker car with better-than-factory products.
- Cheap as dirt speakers
- Work well for factory replacement
- Low-tech components
- Sound quality quickly degrades as volume goes up
What to Look for When Buying 6×8” Speakers
There are several considerations you should make before upgrading your speakers. First and foremost, consider the upgrades you have made and the ones you plan to make. Selecting a speaker that works great now but won’t handle the amplifier you want to install later means you’ll be replacing speakers. At the same time, buying a speaker with high power requirements without amplifying the signal will result in less-than-ideal sound quality.
Before you buy, make sure that a 6×8” speaker will fit. In most cases, the mounting ring size is the same for both 5×7” and 6×8” speakers, but you may find some differences. The biggest obstacle to installing 6×8” speakers in a 5×7” hole is the clearance on the back of the speaker. It is common to have interference with window drive motors, electrical wiring, and other necessary components that prevent the installation of deep speakers.
Upgrading your vehicle with new 6×8” speakers will provide tons of additional enjoyment and can increase the value of your vehicle. Replacing factory speakers is one of the easiest DIY jobs to do and provides a huge difference in the driving experience.
Any of the speakers on this list are excellent and high-quality components that will help you get the type of sound you want. Whether you are looking to fill your ride with bone-crushing bass or you want to hear the sweet sounds of classical music like you are alone in the theater, there are speakers to get you there.