When it comes to making a phone call behind the wheel, a Bluetooth kit for your car is essential. In states such as California, it's even illegal to use your cellphone while driving and can result in a fine of $160+.
If you'd like to install Bluetooth in your car, but don’t want to spend the excess money on a head unit, and deal with the hassle of installation you can either:
- Use your existing car stereo's aux-in port if you have one (headphone input jack on your car's stereo). This is great for both making phone calls and playing music from your mobile phone or device, however can lead to echo issues while making phone calls.
- If you don’t have an aux-in port and your priority is making Bluetooth phone calls more than playing music via Bluetooth, a clip-on speakerphone is your best choice.
- If quality music is more important than making phone calls, you can choose an FM transmitter – a Bluetooth connection that uses a set FM station to transmit your audio (music or phone calls). These are more geared towards listening to music.
- If you'd like the best of both worlds, and don't mind the installation, you can choose from a list of our Best Car Stereos with Bluetooth in order to be able to make both phone calls and create a seamless connection with your phone for streaming music.
This review is focused on finding the best universal Bluetooth units that allow you to make phone calls safely from your car so that you can keep your eyes on the road at all times, preventing accidents and tickets! They're universal, easy to install and work in almost any car with an AUX input (see description for those that require an AUX).
Best Universal Bluetooth Car Kit List
Belkin Caraudio Connect Quick Review
Belkin is a very well known brand for Bluetooth car kits. Quality, reliability, big brand and great customer support is what you get with the Belkin CarAudio Connect AUX unit. It lets you make hands-free calls as well as play music from your device's playlist through your car's speakers. Also consistent with all Belkin units, it's simple to setup, featuring an intuitive one-touch control, 12v power plugin for your car's accessory port, easy AUX chord to plugin to your car's existing AUX port (REQUIRED) and exceptional sound quality. It's a simple, quality and great solution overall to a Bluetooth car kit.
- Hands Free Bluetooth Car Kit
- Plugs Into Aux Input
- Music Streaming & Siri Compatible
- Android and iPhone Compatible
Audiovox BCS1 Quick Review
The Audiovox's BCS1 universal Bluetooth car kit is an incredibly straightforward and user-friendly solution. It features a minimally invasive multi-function button that you can mount almost anywhere on your dash or console (note that the microphone is built into the button so a forward facing position is optimal). It's also a 12v Bluetooth kit that's designed to plug into your car's 12v power adapter. Just plug the unit into power, and into your car's auxiliary port (REQUIRED) and you're good to make phone calls and play music. It's also compatible with Siri if you're an iPhone user!
Parrot MINIKIT Neo 2 HD Quick Review
An excellent clip-on device, the Parrot MINIKIT Neo 2 HD is an elegant and simple Bluetooth solution. A well known manufacturer of Bluetooth car kits, Parrot's MINIKIT Neo 2 HD falls anything but short of Parrot's reputation. The MINIKIT Neo 2 HD features an efficient battery life of 6 months, set-and-forget volume controls that saves your last volume settings whenever you talk, HD quality sound, customizable SMS text responses and much more. You can even stream your favorite music with it! Parrot's MINIKIT Neo 2 truly simplifies Bluetooth addition to your car.
Motorola Roadster 2 Quick Review
A clip-on design Bluetooth car kit, the Motorola Roadster 2 is the perfect solution to all those who are looking for a unit to make Bluetooth phone calls but don't want to install a new head unit, tear up their dash, or wear an earpiece. It features dual microphone noise cancellation for quite and natural phone calls, even in the loudest cars, an easy clip to mount to your sun visor and it's compatible with almost all bluetooth and mobile phones! With you Roadster 2 you can even enjoy MOTOSPEAK – a built-in feature that speaks to you when you have an incoming phone call. And, one of the best parts about this unit is that it doesn't require ANY installation. Just clip and link.
Jabra Drive Quick Review
Jabra Drive Bluetooth Speakerphone is an excellent hands-free solution that enables you to make have in-car phone conversations while keeping your eyes on the road. A simple clip-on and connect device, there's no setup required. Simply pair it up with your mobile phone and clip it onto your sun visor and it will connect automatically whenever you get into the car. With the Jabra Drive, you don't need to remove your phone from your pocket – simply click the big button and you'll have quality sounding phone calls in your car!