Last updated on February 25th, 2021 at 06:07 pm
In this article: We'll review our best 6 pick digital media single din head units for your vehicle with quick reviews, photos and provide the latest prices to help you save money.
One of the best upgrades you can make to your driving experience is to install a digital media player in your car or truck's dash. With the rise in streaming music and video popularity, digital media receivers have become very popular as well. Almost every company that manufactures stereos has at least one model to offer you. Making the best choice to match your streaming and music preferences can be a challenge due to the number of products on the market. And boastful marketing claims that many companies make about the power and performance of their units can further complicate the decision making process. We put this list together to showcase the best single-DIN digital media receivers on the market. We're constantly updating our lists
Digital Media Receiver vs Digital Multimedia Receiver vs DVD/CD Receiver- What’s the Difference?
Sometimes, simple terms in the car audio industry can be a source of frustration, this might be one of those cases for you. To simplify, there are three terms in use that describe totally different types of car stereos. Knowing the differences can help you narrow the search for your perfect system.
- Digital Media Receiver: These car stereos play music from USB drives, smartphones, and other digital media sources. The key to know about digital media receivers is they do not play CDs or DVDs. They rely on a separate device, like an iPhone, to stream your music from. Digital media receivers are, for the most part, single din units.
- Digital Multimedia Receiver: The main difference between these stereos and the digital media receivers is the incorporation of touchscreen technology. They still don’t play CDs or DVDs, but can be connected to external players to display other forms of media like video on-screen.
- CD/DVD Receiver: As the name implies, these units have the built-in ability to play CDs and DVDs, including playing video on screen or directing video to remote screens. Most of the CD receivers in this category are single-DIN units while DVD receivers are double-DIN units that feature touchscreen technology.
Unsure what size head unit will fit your dash? Search for your year, make and model using our Dash Size Search Tool to find out if the head units on this list match the dash opening of your car!
Best Digital Media Receiver Head Unit List
- Single-DIN chassis
- Plays music files from USB drives, including FLC files
- Built-in Bluetooth makes connecting Apple and Android phones simple
- 18Wx4 RMS, 50Wx4 peak power
- Front, Rear, and Subwoofer outputs (2V)
- Steering wheel control compatible
Alpine UTE-73BT Quick Review
The Alpine UTE-73BT is an upgrade from the previous 63BT model and provides better connectivity options while retaining all the features that made the previous model a top pick. Alpine adds Android Open Accessory tech to the receiver which streamlines connecting your Android smartphone to play music from your favorite streaming apps like Pandora or Spotify.
Alpine kept some of the best features from the 63BT, like the physical multifunction knob and a clean layout that looks correct in most dash panels. The single line LCD display now lets you change colors of the backlit buttons and is five times more readable than previous models, making it easier to quickly read information.
Alpine designs this stereo to work seamlessly with Apple and Android devices, and you’ll find that connections through Bluetooth are stable and simple to set up. A front panel USB port allows charging and convenient playback of music files from thumb drives, smartphones, and compatible MP3 players. The Alpine UTE-73BT now offers playback of lossless FLAC files for even better sound quality.
- Upgraded model now plays FLAC files and offers steering wheel controls
- Clean sound even without an amplifier, chassis is designed to accommodate KTP-445A power pack for true 50wx4 RMS power
- AOA 2.0 simplifies Bluetooth connections
- Requires an adapter (KCU-445A) to play music from Apple products
- Alpine reduced the voltage of expandable preouts from previous model (4V to 2V)
- Digital media receiver, Single-DIN
- 22Wx4 RMS, 50Wx4 Peak
- Built-in Bluetooth 4.2
- Amazon Alexa Built-in
- Front and rear USB connections
- Front, rear, and subwoofer high-power pre-amp outputs (5V)
- HD radio
- 13-band EQ with time adjustment
- Plays FLAC files
- Short chassis design
Kenwood KMM-X704 Quick Review
Kenwood’s eXcelon-series of receivers are consistently top-ranking, and this digital media receiver is one of the best buys on the market. You’ll get easy access to the most popular features in an attractive package at a great price.
Kenwood understands that the world is changing, and we rely on our smartphones more each day to do numerous tasks. Built-in Alexa means you can control your smart devices remotely, and using the Bluetooth connections, you can wirelessly stream from your favorite apps from an Android device or a connected Apple product.
Some of the features that set the KMM-X704 apart include dual front and rear USB connections, so you can charge a device while streaming content from another. Advanced Bluetooth means stable connections and easy access to your favorite songs. You can even wirelessly connect up to five devices for DJing down the road.
- Front and rear USB and upgraded Bluetooth make connections easy
- High-power RCA outputs
- Short chassis design means it’s easy to install in space-challenging dashes
- Limited color selection
- Difficult to see labels on buttons
- No remote included
- Digital Media Receiver, Single-DIN
- Plays files from USB and SD cards
- Works well with Android and Apple devices
- Hands-free Bluetooth
- HD Radio
- Dual zone illumination with fader
- Front, Rear, Subwoofer preamp outputs (4V)
- Detachable faceplate for security
Pioneer MVH-S720BHS Quick Review
Pioneer steps up the digital media receiver game with this affordable and feature-rich head unit. You’ll love the built-in access to the Pioneer SmartSync app, which makes connecting your Apple or Android device almost effortless. Pioneer added MIXTRAX to the receiver, too, so you can set it up to operate as a virtual DJ, complete with special mixing effects. It will even take advantage of the RGB LCD screen to give you dance club lighting effects in your ride.
Upgraded Bluetooth technology makes it simple to use hands-free features that are proven to reduce distractions and create a safer drive. You can use Bluetooth to connect your compatible smartphone and wirelessly stream music from your favorite apps like Pandora, Spotify, or SiriusXM (subscription required). One of the best features is the ability to Thumbs Up/ Down from the receiver so you don’t have to fiddle with your phone when that song you love comes on.
The S720BHS continues the legacy of easy connectivity, great sound, and reliable performance Pioneer head units are known for. Playback from the front USB or SD card port is a fantastic way to get the tunes you want conveniently.
- Crisp, clean sound performance
- Excellent option for buyers who plan to add amplifiers
- Lots of customization features to make the unit look just right in your dash
- Display isn’t as bright as some units, making it hard to see in bright light
- No carrying case for detachable faceplate
- Digital media receiver, Single-DIN
- Plays files from USB, SD card
- Compatible with Apple and Android devices
- Built-in Amazon Alexa connectivity
- Bluetooth and front USB for ease of playback
- Three pairs of high-voltage preamp outputs (5V)
- Dual zone illumination
- Pairs five phones simultaneously in DJ mode
- Detachable faceplate
JVC KD-X470BHS Quick Review
This digital media receiver from JVC is perfect for Alexa users. It includes built-in connectivity to Amazon’s AI assistant, so you can make calls, schedule meetings, and communicate with other Alexa-enabled devices. Using the JVC app, you can use your smartphone as a remote, making it simple to control the head unit.
Bluetooth connectivity is outstanding with this unit. You can connect up to five devices simultaneously so your friends can get in on the track selection without causing the driver distractions. Music streaming apps like Pandora and Spotify work flawlessly, and the front USB port lets you play FLAC files effortlessly.
It’s also a great looking head unit. The dual-zone selectable color schemes make it simple to match the theme of your interior, and a special DJ mode even creates a light show on your dash. The receiver works with Android and Apple phones.
- Excellent connectivity through Amazon Alexa for users that prefer smart devices
- One of the easiest Bluetooth connections, particularly for Apple users
- Excellent expandability with high-power outputs
- Many of the buttons are small and difficult to press without looking away from the road
- Requires adapter for steering wheel control functionality
- No remote included
- Digital media receiver, Single-DIN
- Plays USB, SD card files
- Tap-to-connect for Android, wireless voice control
- USB connection for Apple, compatible with Siri Eyes Free
- Built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calls and track control
- 55wx4 Peak
- Preamp subwoofer output
Sony DSX-A415BT Quick Review
Sony is one of the biggest names in car audio and when you take a look at the features of this digital media receiver you’ll understand why. Sony built an amplifier into the receiver to give you a stunningly powerful and crystal-clear music listening environment, no matter how you want to play your tunes.
The front panel USB port enables easy playback from thumb drives or MP3 players, and also allows the use of numerous Apple products including most iPhones. You can even access Siri Eyes Free through the USB connection. Android users will love the wireless Bluetooth connection for streaming music from apps like Pandora and Spotify, and you can even use voice commands to control the receiver.
A slick new feature of this receiver is the ability to tap-to-connect with Bluetooth. This simplifies hook up and makes changing from one device to another seamless and fast. It’s a great way to reduce distraction.
- Apple users will need to connect through USB
- Only one color illumination (blue)
- No pre-outs for front or rear speakers, sub only (2V)
- Microphone quality is not the best – you may have to speak louder to be heard properly
- Digital media receiver, single-DIN
- 50Wx4 peak
- Pair of preamp outputs (2V)
- Built-in Bluetooth with push-to-talk
- Works with Siri and Google Assistant
- Hands-free calling
- Slim chassis for tight installation spaces
- Compatible with Dual iPlug app
Dual XRM59BT Quick Review
Sometimes, you just need a good stereo that has the basic features you want without draining your wallet. Look no farther than this digital media receiver from Dual. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a better deal anywhere and this unit offers some excellent connectivity options.
Built-in Bluetooth lets you make effortless hands-free calls or stream music wirelessly from a compatible device. The front USB makes playback from a thumb drive or MP3 player convenient, while built-in voice activation opens up Google Assistant or Apple Siri to aid in navigation and other tasks that can distract you from driving.
Connect your smartphone to the Dual iPlug smart app to use your device as a remote control. The receiver features four preset EQ bands, a front Aux-in and USB port, and a pair of preamp outputs to add an amplifier.
- Good range of functions at a rock-bottom price
- Decent sound quality
- Lacks some user controls, like advanced EQ settings
- Limited expansion possibilities due to single pair of RCA outputs
- Bluetooth connection struggles with stability
How We Tested
Our reviews take many criteria into consideration when researching and ultimately compiling our lists of best products. This includes features, controls, appearance, inputs, connectivity, available apps, audio quality, price, value for money, services, and support.
And, be sure to take a look through our Easy Guide to Installing a Car Stereo if you do decide to purchase a Digital Media Receiver and install yourself!