Are you looking to install or upgrade your garage door in your home? In the market for a top rated garage door opener? Is your current garage door opener malfunctioning and you are looking for its replacement? Or are you just searching for newer and more advanced models of garage door openers to upgrade your current one?
If your answer is YES to any of these questions, then your search has landed you in the right place. Below is our comprehensive review of the most reliable, popular and budget-friendly car garage door openers to choose from. Today, opening and closing garage doors has become easier, quieter and more convenient as a result of the major advancements GDO (garage door opener) manufacturers are making - such as the incorporation of Wi-Fi smart control features into their products. Our reviews will give you a detailed guide into the highlights of our top selections and help you in making an informed decision during purchase.
What is a Garage Door Opener Used For?
This is a pretty straight forward question.. But if you are not conversant with a garage door opener, it is a motorized device that helps in opening and closing garage doors by lifting them up and down. They are typically installed on the underside of the garage ceiling and controlled manually or automatically by use of remote sensors. Garage door openers work hand in hand with a garage door’s chain, belt or screw operation mechanisms. A typical opener has a power unit that contains the electric motor to generate the energy required to control the opening and closing of the garage door.
Garage door openers are used in almost all modern garage doors in homes, businesses, and industries. The first electric overhead opener was developed in 1926 by C.G Johnson in Hartford City, Indiana, but the concept of garage door openers only became popular after World War II. Today, significant advancements have been made towards producing garage door openers that are more effective, easy to use, quieter, stronger, and safer.
What to Look for in a Garage Door Opener
When comparing the best car garage door openers, there are specific features that set them apart and can influence your purchase decision. When undertaking our review, these factors played a prominent role in our discovery of the best models in the market. However, while all our reviewed models below varied in terms of power, price, efficiency and noise levels, they all qualified as great options for closing and opening your garage door.
Here are the various features we put into consideration – and you should also be on their lookout when on the market for a top garage door opener:
- Power – How much horsepower can the door opener offer? Will you need a ½-horsepower, ¾-horsepower opener, or more? All this depends with the size and weight of your door.
- Safety features – Does the opener offer safety features such as automatic reversal if it detects an object on the door’s path when closing? Is the opener secure enough to prevent remote codes from being hacked?
- Smart control – If you want a garage door that is easy to control and manage from the palm of your hands, consider an opener that is Wi-Fi enabled. Several brands allow you to manage your garage door remotely using your Smartphone via an app. With such, you can even open or lock down your door while away on vacation.
- Noise control – Look out for a brand that can let you and your family have some peaceful sleep, especially if you have bedrooms attached to the garage door.
- Performance and durability – Check out what other customers are saying about a specific opener’s performance over time, its maintenance requirements, and durability. Reviews from vendors such as Amazon can be of substantial help.
- Budget – Budget is always a significant purchase determiner, but don’t go for the cheapest option because you might be sacrificing on product quality.
- Battery backup – Does the opener have a backup battery to power the system when there is power failure?
- Homelink compatibility – If you have Homelink in your car, consider an opener that can link with it to make opening and closing of your garage door effortless when inside your vehicle.